I struggled for most of 2016 to find the perfect products and routine for my hair and I can now finally say my search is over. I have naturally wavy hair that is dry and course. I color my hair every three months and generally heat style it every day so I do have some damage and split ends. I only wash my hair every two or three days in order to eliminate some of the damage. The biggest concern I have is maintaining my volume between washes. My goal is to have thick, full hair that still has movement. Here is the routine I’ve been using the last couple of months and I’ve been having nothing but good hair days:
- Pre Shampoo- I use the Jamaican Black Castor Oil Shampoo. I apply a generous amount and really massage it into my scalp. This product helps to remove any oil and product buildup.
- Shampoo- I then use Living Proof Full Volume Shampoo. Because I’ve already prepooed I can get away with using only a small amount of this shampoo. This product is unique because it not only eliminates buildup but also helps to repel it.
- Conditioner- The way I condition my hair really is my secret weapon. I use Aveda Pure Abundance conditioner it has the most amazing peppermint smell and gives my hair noticeable body. I gently wring much water as I can out of my hair, I then flip my head upside down and begin by applying the conditioner from the base of my head through the ends. I then tie the hair up on the top of my head with an elastic. I leave it up there while I shave and cleanse my body. Then I just rinse extra well.
- Volume Boost- While my hair is still damp I spray 3-4 pumps of the Aveda Volumizing Tonic in the upper crown of my hair. This product is great because it gives me volume and texture without leaving behind a sticky residue.
- Heat Protection- Because I blow dry and straighten my hair I’m always very diligent with applying a head protectant. I use the Aveda Smooth Infusion creme to protect my hair. I apply this product similarly to how I apply conditioner; I flip my head upside down and start from the bottom of my head and work it through the entire length of my hair.